Most people do not give much thought to office safety until it is too late. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), about 76,000 office workers go on disability due to injury every year.
Fortunately, exercising a few simple precautions can help prevent injuries at work and increase productivity.
One of the most frequent causes of work injuries is slipping and falling. Many of those injuries are avoidable with the proper safety procedures and office layout in place. A well-planned office layout is an important part of an efficient workflow as well as a critical component to a safe workplace.
Employers need to arrange all office furniture in a way that promotes easy maneuvering, free of obstructions, between workstations and doorways. After this is done, there are several tips the employer can share with employees to prevent possible injuries that result from either tripping or slipping.
1. Maintain clear pathways at all times, securing electrical cords and wires away from walkways. Pick up any objects dropped on the ground.
2. Keep all file cabinet and desk drawers closed when not in use.
3. Report loose floorboards and carpet immediately.
4. Never carry anything tall enough to blocks one's line of vision.
5. Always remember to clean up spills as soon as they occur.
Want to create a comfortable, collaborative work environment? Visit the Office Furniture Warehouse website to complete your office landscape.